Verify Email Address Without Sending Email – Useful Tips
Beyond the knowledge that email is one of the safest, cheapest, and fastest means of forwarding vital information to people, it is also important to know that emails may not be delivered to the intended recipients in all cases. This necessitates the need to verify the existence or validity of email addresses or accounts before information is transmitted, otherwise your deliverability could be adversely impacted. In essence, it is much better to forward, for instance, a business initiative to 200 verified email accounts instead of forwarding the same to 500 unverified accounts. But there is more.
Bounce Rate And Spam
An email bounce rate simply refers to the percentage of emails that fail to reach their targeted recipients. A high bounce rate could prompt the information emerging from your inbox to be marked as spam. If that is the case, you will waste precious time and resources on bounced emails, and the emails forwarded to valid accounts won't be delivered successfully! This is definitely not a situation you want to find yourself in, hence the importance of email verification.
BENEFITS OF EMAIL VERIFICATION
- By verifying the email accounts on your list, you can separate the valid ones from the inactive ones. This will reduce your email bounce rate.
- Your account can be suspended if you regularly forward emails to invalid or spammy email accounts. This can be forestalled through verification, and your reputation score will consequently rise.
- Email verification boosts click through and feedback rates.
Now, what methods can be leveraged to enjoy these benefits?
EMAIL VERIFICATION METHODS
- Check the syntaxes of email addresses: A prominent problem associated with email addresses is typographical or syntax errors. It bears mentioning that a standard email address must comprise three parts: the email's unique identifier, @, and the domain name. In the syntax example, firstname.lastname@example.org, "genejones545" is the unique identifier, whereas "gmail.com" is the domain name. The unique identifier can encompass no more than 64 characters, which can include English letters in uppercase and lowercase. Also, the identifier could contain digits from 0 to 9, as well as special characters like # % = + - ? / |. It is vitally important to ascertain that your recipient's email address perfectly agrees with the required syntax. For instance, if I send an email to email@example.com, it will bounce, particularly because of a flawed domain name. If you observe an email with a flawed syntax, remove them from your email list.
- Forward test emails: Whenever you forward an email to an invalid or fraudulent email account, it will bounce back, thereby informing you that the address was not found or the information was not sent. The disadvantage of deploying this strategy frequently is that your bounce rate could rise. In effect, your sender reputation could be negatively impacted, and you could be added to spam lists. To avoid these, you can create a dummy account and forward test emails therefrom.
- Use an email verification tool: Email verifiers or checkers can help you to ascertain the validity of email accounts. They are available as desktop tools or online services (e.g. SaaS products or plugins). Regarding online services, if a website has a verifier, you can type the address into its finder, then click on the verifier for validity ascertainment.
- Leverage Google to search email addresses: There is no denying that people mention their email addresses on their social media platforms and/or websites, so googling them can come in handy. This method can be used if you have few email addresses on your list, and your domain reputation won't be compromised. Take note, however, that getting a matching result reveals the "probability", not "certainty," of an account's validity.
- Conduct an IP address lookup: This strategy helps you by supplying the IP address of the recipient's email account.
- Checking DNS records: DNS means domain name server. Checking DNS records helps to validate the domain of an email address. Moreover, it reveals any spam data, although it cannot guarantee impeccable deliverability.
- Pinging a server: To conduct this test, you will need a tool that is compatible with your Windows computer or macOS-powered laptop. Although this strategy produces the best result, it consumes time and could impact your system adversely.
Having read through this article, I hope you have now learnt how to verify email address without sending email.
» Back to articles